May 6, 2011

If You Own the Atlanta Braves...

Tonight the Atlanta Braves come to Philadelphia for a three-game series, which has really got me wondering: how on earth is it still acceptable to have Native American nickname teams in 2011?

Let's do a quick poll. Which is worse (and I'm limiting this to baseball here): the Cleveland Indians and their racist caricature logo (see right) or the Atlanta Braves and their tomahawk chop? Honestly, I'm inclined to vote Indians on the basis of that logo, but it's hard when my hatred of the Braves runs so deep. It was bred into me as a child, when I used to sit in front of the television holding up homemade anti-Braves signs. David Justice was a particular target of my venom. And they had the nerve to call themselves "America's Team" even though their lame, gimmicky cheer is offensive to the people who, like, actually discovered this country in the first place? Not to mention, supposedly stolen from the Floria Seminoles, which just seems way too fitting.

There are plenty of arguments against maintaining Native American nickname teams in this day and age, but I think Philadelphia's own Atom and His Package may have said it best.

Atom and His Package - "If You Own the Washington Redskins, You're A Cock" 


I'm proud to report that I successfully converted my North Carolina-raised, childhood-Braves-fan boyfriend into a Phillies fan (his favorite players are Roy O and John Mayberry Jr.), because you know what they say: if you know a Braves fan who thinks he is your friend, now is the time for your friendship to end.

In other news, I have been too sick to blog (or drink coffee!) for days and a lot has happened. Here's a quick round-up: the Phillies got out the brooms against Jayson Werth and the Nationals, Raul "When It Rains, It Pours" Ibanez broke out of his historic slump (I guess dude finally got around to making some new horcruxes), Cole "2008" Hamels was—in the words of his #1 fan, my mom—great, tremendous, awesome, wonderful, thrilling, and fantastic, moving J-Roll back to the leadoff spot is paying off big-time, Vance Worley continues to impress with both his pitching and his sweet glasses, Roy Halladay has been hugging his Chooch pillow and crying himself to sleep as it looks likely that Carlos Ruiz will head to the DL, and the Philadelphia Phillies are the best team in baseball. (I mean, technically, they're tied with the Cleveland Indians, but that's racist.)

4 comments:

Charles said...

At least the Braves is some sort of imagined, inaccurate depiction of a warrior sect within Native American culture. Where as the Indians are just using a caricature of an entire race of people as a funny mascot. It's a culture we care so little about that once we realized they weren't Indians as we originally thought, we just kept calling them that anyway.

Redskins are the most awful in sports, though.

But they're all racist and awful, and I guess I just said all this stuff to justify the fact that I will love Sid Bream forever. Sorry!

James Generic said...

I think the Indians have the most racist logo, the Redskins the most racist name, and the Braves the most racist fans. Fuck the Tomahawk Chop.

Incidently, the name "Braves" is only indirectly racist. The Boston Beaneaters owner, who changed the name to Braves in the 1910s, was a member of the New York Democratic Party machine Tammany Hall, who's members nickname was the Braves, after a popular Nativist usage of Native American images to prove how American they were, unlike the dirty Catholic immigrants coming in. Yeah, kinda strange for a then-Boston team to be named after a New York instition.

Nadine said...

"the Indians have the most racist logo, the Redskins the most racist name, and the Braves the most racist fans."

my thoughts exactly!

also, charlie, please stop polluting my phillies blog with your love of sid bream.

Jimmy said...

I thought the worst of this topic happen today at the civil rights game in atlanta....with people of all colors doing the chop and wailing an indian song.... with no native americans part of the show....shame on you mlb