May 26, 2011

Oh My God! You Mean That's the Same Guy?


I thought I was hallucinating when I woke up on my couch to the fuzz of the Phillies game still blaring through my radio. While I had dozed in and out, the Phillies had stayed in it. The Reds had too. For 18 innings. At this point in the game, Chooch was playing third, Polly was playing second, and Wilson Valdez was taking the mound against the meat and potatoes of the Reds' lineup: Joey Votto, Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce.

Is this all a dream? Is Roy Oswalt in left field right now?


The announcers told me it was all real. Well, everything except for that part about Roy O. After the Phillies had used up their entire bullpen, utility infielder Wilson Valdez was called in to pitch. He went on to throw a hitless 19th against batters 3, 4, 5, and 6 for the Reds. His fastball even clocked in around 90 mph. The Phillies went on to score on a walk-off sac-fly by Raul Ibanez. Valdez earned the win, a 0.00 ERA, and a pie to the face after having pitched last in a 2002 pickup game in the Dominican Republic. Oh, and Valdez went 3-for-6 at the plate. And hit Scott Rolen with a pitch.

God, I love baseball.

Fun fact: The last time a position player started a game in the field and came away with a win was October 1, 1921. That player was none other than the Sultan of Swat, the King of Crash, the Collossus of Clout, Babe Ruth. THE GREAT BAMBINO! So I guess that means that by the transitive powers of baseball, Wilson Valdez equals George Herman Ruth.

For those who slept through the excitement, a recap and video are available here.

2 comments:

Baez Owns the middle teen innings! said...

In their last three visits to Philly, Cincy has - lost three straight walkoff games, blew a six run lead in the 9th, were no hit, lost a game when their rightfielder dropped a fly ball, and were beaten in 19 innings by a pitching infielder.
The Reds have a worse time in Philadelphia than Duck Boat riders from Norway

James Generic said...

I do highly value how long Philadelphians keep a grudge against Scott Rolen. Makes me very proud.