April 5, 2011

The Phillies Take on the Madoffs Tonight

"Enjoy your slaughter of my Madoffs," my friend and lifelong Muts fan wrote me yesterday after hating on "cheesesteak-eatin' Phillies fans" for a paragraph or two (I may have left out some adjectives there). So tonight let's party like it's 1964...

Jim Bunning, father of seven, pitching the first perfect game in NL history against the Mets on Father's Day

...or at least 1915, the last time the Phillies won the first four games of the season. It seems like we're breaking old records every day. Let's just hope that tonight's game isn't too much of what 1965 Mets manager Wes Westrum would have called a "real cliff-dweller". Go Phillies!

Edit: We did not party like it was 1964 or 1915 last night. Cole had a tough time on the mound and our 7-1 loss to the Mets wasn't a "cliff-dweller" of any kind. However, the lack of action in the later, colder, windier innings did incite some fan to run onto the field and slide into second base, so there's that. Maybe my hopes were a little too high for my first game back at the ballpark. The Flyers and Sixers also lost which made for an extra sad subway ride home from the land of the stadiums.

1 comment:

James Generic said...

I was there too! not many mets fans this time... I also yelled "Bernie Madoff!" at one of the few I saw.